Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gently Does It

I started off at a disadvantage with this new series because my reaction to Martin Shaw in Judge John Deed was a bit low key. I like him as an actor but the persistent 'Dear old Chappiness' of the show was underwhelming to me. There is nothing worse than well bred film making and I thought it had that in spades. Not that I object to it in Midsomer Murders but...to each their own.

It seemed to me that Shaw's character as the Judge might be a favourite for him and it would be served up again in the new series. My heart sank when the opening shot had him in his boots in the middle of a river doing a 'spot of fishing'. Not to worry, here's a real actor and so Shaw gives us a quite gentle Gently with a touch of a northern accent, the same doggedness his face always suggests and surprise, surprise - humility. His sidekick is a bumptious annoyance who is redeemed by his youthful insight and glaring character flaws - all calmly pointed out by Gently.

I think it is set in the early 1960's so, as with Mad Men, we have the opportunity to thank our lucky stars that we are in the 21ist century. All the smoking, chauvinist piggery and class structures are carefully folded into the stories - each of which so far, have been surprising and beautifully fitting for the time as I remember it.

Most wonderful is the shooting style. I watched a lot of TV at that time and the producers and cinematographers have captured the 'feel' of the films and drama of the era. There is a sharpness and artistry about the lighting of the actors and the way the camera follows them. Took me back to the marvelous black and white movies of long ago - 'Whistle down the Wind' etc. and the fast paced and curiously well costumed series like 'Danger Man' and 'The Avengers'.

It's great and watch how they include mysteries only just now coming to light - such as the recently discovered Jersey Children's Home scandal which formed the spine of the last episode. And here are Smoking Actors again. In 'The Tree' which we are filming now, the lead actors smoke and the director was smitten with anxiety about it. I must say, it can be a hard habit to kick after a production.

To watch a trailer for the ABC 1 series 'George Gently', click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment