Friday, April 23, 2010

Stay Premium, Gentlemen

A quote from Australian poet Peter Porter reads:
"The only things more boring than someone telling you their dreams,
Is someone telling you the plots of movies they've seen".

And so I won't tell you the ending of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. Not just because its a shame to spoil it but because I have serious problems with this popular franchise - which is what it hopes to become.

I loved the opening with its rapid fire entry into Northern European life and its sad eyed heroes in their freezing landscapes. These are my tribe and I was thrilled as the train made its way through the winter snow to the small town where the action is to happen. I was still there when the camera lingered over the tortured remains of beautiful women and I managed to sit through a terrible rape. Or two... but by the third sadistic sexual act, the gloss was coming off a bit.

The clever techniques used to piece together the research bring the hunt to life and certainly the wonderful casting of the girl are real assets. The thrill of this avenging angel racing after her quarry excited the audience so much, there were audible gasps. But what was it all for?

'Revenge', 'Payback' whatever you want to call it, it boils down to the Biblical 'Eye for an Eye' which I find unsatisfying. Europe of all places knows this sort of bloody revenge begets more of itself and so, if I am going to be forced to stare at a wall of tortured remains, I need to know it's for something transcendent.

To entice me along a road called 'Horror' and flip me off with 'Caper', won't do. I am not won over when my hero trades her leathers in for something she liked the look of in a magazine but, lift your game and you got me

No comments:

Post a Comment